26.11.08

Thanksgiving thoughts

Note: thanks jack and reid for the inspirational thoughts on your respective blogs…..


On the eve of Thanksgiving it doesn’t seem much like thanksgiving. For one it’s been over 100 degrees for the last few days (without air-conditioning) and it’s just weird thinking T-day should be surrounded with beautiful fall leaves, the smell of fires in fireplaces, warm coffee, sweaters, and lots of college football. Another reason is I’ve been truly beyond exhausted lately….that kind of true exhaustion that is beyond the help of sleep. You wake up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep even when you slept beautifully…..exhaustion to the core-spirit, emotions, mind faculties, physically, just utterly drained. This last month has been long and hard and I’ve just not even thought much about Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for….truly, truly thankful for (in no particular order):


· My super-powered industrial-like fan that’s keeping me coolish (when I’m in my room)

· Internet that works (most of the time) so I can stay in touch with family, friends, and supporters from back home

· A Fanger to zap and fry all the stinkin mosquitos

· My health

· I have 2 friends I adore from the States with me here for 3 wks

· I have an amazing supportive network of family and friends back home in the States

· Electricity, running (clean) water that is hot (in 2 minute intervals), shelter, a bed, clothes, and shoes

· Safety

· A merciful, loving, forgiving, dying-for-me, Almighty, healing, protecting, all-knowing, Divine, thinks-I’m-cool, gets His feet dirty, beautiful friend and Savior

· 35 children that love me and that I get to love on and help grow

· Renewal and daily bread from above

· Whole bean Starbucks coffee visitors have brought over and donated to us poor thirsty, caffeine deprived missionaries

· All my 5 senses


So after reading a few friends blogs tonight, I will reflect upon a few things that God seemed to be speaking to me about.






“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.


Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.


Blessed are those who hunger and theirs for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.


Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.


Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.


Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.



Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

-Matthew 5:3-12


“Everything is necessary that He sends. Nothing can be necessary that He withholds.”

-John Newton



These scripture verses are the reason I’m here (indirectly)….I mean, I’m here trying to give the kingdom of heaven to those that are poor in spirit; comforting those who mourn, turning their mourning into laughter; helping them meek inherit the earth; feeding the hungry and thirsty (spiritually and physically); trying to show unconditional mercy to those who need it most desperately; trying to raise up sons of God with pure hearts and eyes set firmly upon God; to live outside the box, uncomfortably, way beyond myself, all for His glory, to lift up His children, and empower them to be the person HE has called them to be. John Newton hit the nail on the head….as we head into tomorrow….reread his quote and remember the things He has provided (or not provided) and how truly blessed you are wherever you may be!


No comments: