20.4.09

Anyone have any suggestions for my problem child???

Ok, so I'm involving all of you that might have some feasible suggestions out there for me.  You are invited to use whatever resources you have, ie yourself, friends, coworkers, parents, parent handbooks, neighbors, internet, whatever to feed me tidbits to help me.  Here's the situation:
 
I have Dionisio mister picky eater here who's tons and tons better.  Anyone remember the I hate food altogether battle he waged?....well, he lost and my patience and wisdom (or something like that) prevailed.  So since he's been so good about eating food itself for me now (he is eating brkfst, lunch, dinner, and 2 wholesome snacks every day) I have let it go that he refuses anything that involves textures.  I thought, perhaps one day he'd become daring and eat something lumpy.  or maybe, just maybe, he'd reach for that banana and stick it in his mouth.  well....he hasn't.  and he flat refuses things that involve non-pureed textures.  He's 15 months now and has a full set of 15 month old teeth including 1 yr molars that he NEVER uses except when the tias brush his stinkin teeth at night.  So I need creative suggestions and solutions for encouraging him to A-eat things that are NOT pureed (ie real un-pureed rice or non-mega pureed apples or perhaps just a nice big ole hand held banana) and B-perhaps actually use his hands and put something into his mouth on his own.  I've tried enticing him with the food I'm eating since he seems to LOVE me lately.  and by that I mean scream without stopping until I pick him up or walk out of the room.  I tried a banana like his counterparts eat.  the result??  when I would put it in my mouth he would lunge toward me, hand outstretched and say Da!  which means "give"  so in toddler speak he just told me to give him the banana.  then I would and he'd throw it on the floor or push it away from me, or shake his head violently no and turn his face away from me.  Then I'd eat some more and he'd repeat the whole game.  I'm desperate.  I need good ideas.  the problem you must keep in mind is there isn't a fresh stock of junior foods and or junior graduate like snacks to start him on.  it's pureed food (which he eats) or big people food (what I eat) or mushed up food (which he hates cause it's not uniformed in texture).  I need ideas........ 

2 comments:

a said...

Have you tried grating food? I read it online...as a good transition from pureed. Crackers? That's all I could find....most stuff was just random food ideas. Response e-mail coming soon!

erin said...

i have tried this in the past before i left for home...he despised the food and spit anything ununiform out of his mouth. that being said, he's progressed developementally quite a bit in the last few weeks, so it's probably a good idea to try it again. We'll prob. try to just make the food lumpier and lumpier each week. he doesn't like crackers or cookies or popsicles or bananas. thanks audry! oh and i'm waiting for that email!